Dear Mr. President:
I humbly suggest the following:
- It is essential to start treatment against Covid-19 immediately upon clinical suspicion of infection and not to wait for confirmatory testing. There is a very narrow window of opportunity to eliminate the virus before pulmonary complications begin. The waiting to treat is the essence of the problem.
- Emphasis must be to prevent complications in the outpatient setting and not to wait until the patient needs to be admitted in the hospital and put on a respirator. This will eliminate the respirator shortness and lower mortality significantly.
- The risk of side effects is exaggerated and is fear mongering. The theoretical risk of QT prolongation is 1 in 1000. The actual risk of death in the high risk population is between 5 to 10%. The risk vs benefit analysis overwhelmingly favors treatment.
- This is World War lll (virus vs humanity). We don’t have time to wait for the results of a long study. Millions will die while we wait. We need to initiate immediate treatment of high risk patients in the outpatient setting.
- Any obstruction to life saving medication (HCQ) should be viewed has crimes against humanity.
- Prophylaxis should be considered in the very high risk patients (i.e. nursing homes).
- We need an immediate supply of 1.5 billion pills of HCQ 200mg, 500 million pills of Azithromycin 500mg, 500 million pills of zinc sulfate 220mg (or its equivalent – we need 50mg elemental zinc).
- I suggest the following immediate treatment regimen of high risk patients with symptoms:
Hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day for 5 days
Azithromycin 500mg once a day for 5 days
Zinc sulfate 220mg once a day for 5 days
- I suggest the following prophylactic regimen for very high risk patients:
Hydroxychloroquine 200mg once a day for 5 days, and then 1 pill a week until immunity can be shown or a vaccine becomes available.
Zinc Sulfate 220mg once a day for 5 days, and then 1 pill a week until immunity can be shown or a vaccine becomes available.
- We need an executive order to override any state obstacles and allow all physicians to prescribe the medication without the fear of liability or retribution. Pharmacies must be permitted to dispense this medication without the fear of liability or retribution.
- The Task force must announce that physicians must treat patents early and aggressively, even without confirmatory testing. If test comeback negative, the patient could be advised to stop the medication.
With much respect,
Dr. Vladimir (Zev) Zelenko